Thinking of Marriage?
If you are a member of YCK Chapel and contemplating marriage, we encourage you to contact us early. The Family Life Ministry (FLM) of YCK Chapel is here to assist you.
Your wedding is the one of the most significant event in your life and is a sacred ministry of the church. Preparing for marriage that would last a life-time requires the couple to commit to pre-marital preparation, as well as to be open to having older marriage mentors walk alongside to coach, guide, encourage and provide counsel when needed.
Please note that YCK Chapel only conducts the Holy Matrimony for baptized members of the church.
Here are some important steps to take:
- Meet with the Family Life Ministry (FLM) Leader at least 8 months, but preferably 9 – 12 months, before the wedding.
- At the meeting, the FLM leader will want to
- verify the spiritual and marital status of the couple (single or ever married, baptism & church membership, etc.),
- firm up the date and venue of the wedding,
- arrange to undergo pre-marital counseling with a couple of Marriage Mentors,
- give guidance on planning for a wedding,
- The couple will then meet the solemnising pastor to
- learn about God’s design for marriage and sexual purity.
- explain what’s involved in a church wedding (eg. registration of marriage, flow of Holy Matrimony etc).
- The couple will meet their marriage mentors for their pre-marital counseling sessions. In one of the session, they will go through a Taylor Johnson Temperament Analysis (TJTA). This is recommended but subject to availability of a counsellor.
- Final meeting with soleminising pastor happens at the end of the pre-marital course to go through the wedding vow and to prepare for the wedding day.
Role of Marriage Mentors
Family Life Ministry of YCK Chapel provides a team of Marriage Mentors. They need not be pastors or counsellors but they are older married couples who are willing to take the time to prepare a young man and a young woman for a lifetime of marriage. Journeying with a young couple is also an enriching and rewarding experience for Marriage Mentors.
Marriage Preparation provides time to:
- Talk about your hopes, expectations and dreams of marriage. Learn about how to make a good decision to marry – how to evaluate your relationship and how to discern God’s will.
- Discuss your fears and anxieties about marriage. Anticipate issues ahead of time instead of being caught off guard.
- Explore personal readiness for marriage and the strengths you bring into this commitment.
- Understand yourself and your partner better. Discover the joy of knowing each other better.
- Know, apply and experience God’s Word as it relates to engagement and marriage.
- Acquire some essential communication and conflict resolution skills. Practice and apply foundational skills needed to build your marriage.
- Understand the critical nature of core responsibilities in marriage.
- Learn about God’s design for true sexual intimacy.