Lazarus had died. Mary and Martha were grieving for their dear brother. They were in deep despair. Mary particularly refused to be comforted. She was perplexed why Jesus did not come earlier?
Martha went out half-way to meet Jesus, but not Mary. The Lord particularly knew and understood Mary’s agony.
Martha met and was comforted by Jesus assurance that Lazarus would be resurrected again. With the mind-boggling assurance she returned and told Mary:
”The Teacher has come and call for you”
Indeed, our God and Master and Teacher has come and call for us too! (Jn 11:28).
He has come to call us:
- Into His Kingdom and see His Glory. “Did I not tell you that if you believed you will see the Glory of God” (Jn 11:40).
- He has come to give us a new resurrected life in His Kingdom.
- He has come and called us to seek and return to the ancient paths (Jer 6:16). God’s people had shaken Him off and gone after the gods around them. God’s bleeding heart longs for their return to seek His ways and His commandments again. Jeremiah foresaw the impending judgment on Jerusalem and God’s people if they don’t repent.
- He has come and called us to enter into His rest (Heb 4:3) and peace (Jn 19:19,21). What we need most in this broken unjust world is soul rest and peace.
- He has come and called us to return to Him and surrender to Him as Master and Lord.
- He has come to send us out as His ambassadors for His spiritual Kingdom (Jn 20:21).
The response of Mary?
Mary got up quickly and go. Mary has found the only answer that satisfies all our “whys” and that can give a messed-up world a fresh beginning.
And we go with this assurance from our Lord Himself:
“My Presence will go with you and I will give you rest” (Ex 33:14)
By Dr Leong Chee Lu (YCKC Bulletin 24&25 March 2018)